You may recollect that pre-covid, the club fielded men’s and women’s athletics teams (over-35s) in our local league, the Kent SCVAC league. Here, both beginners and seasoned athletes could enjoy a range of running, jumping and throwing events in an atmosphere of friendly competition.
We’re looking at resuming this in 2022 and I’m writing to give some dates and ask who might perhaps be interested in any of the meetings. You don’t have to have done any athletics events before; you don’t have to be a fast runner; anyone can join in and earn some points for the club. Any points will help! This email is just to sound out what interest there might be. No commitment at this stage; it’s just so that you can be kept in touch.
Currently these meetings are proposed:
1. Fri 6th or Fri 27th May (to be confirmed): Sutcliffe Park track, Eltham Road, Kidbrooke SE9 (Cambridge Harriers).
2. Fri 17th June: Erith Leisure Centre track (Bexley AC).
3. Fri 15th July: Tonbridge School track (Tonbridge AC).
4. Fri 29th July: Central Park, Dartford track.
I do not have details of events and programming yet. It used to be the case that the first event began 6.45 p.m. and the last around 9 p.m. The events previously offered have been 100m, 200m, 400m, 800m, 1500m, 3000m, relays, high jump, long jump, triple jump, pole vault, shot, javelin, hammer, 2000m walk. The organisers are seeing how far these can all be fitted in. Events are sorted into age groups, 35+, 50+ or 60+ (this includes 70, 80, etc) years old.
Dear KFL runners,
It was a pleasure taking photos for my own club, Canterbury Harriers, at Betteshanger Park and in the process I got some of your clubs too, seeing how many of you were putting on a brave or happy face for the camera. Maybe you are in the pictures here... ...
INSTRUCTIONS FOR DOWNLOADING YOUR PHOTOS:
Using your computer rather than tablet or phone for an easy download experience is recommended for reasons of download size (509 MB when unzipped) and to see the pictures at a larger size.
1) Click on this link which will take you to my WeTransfer website - it has a cover page of changing seaside pictures if you are on a computer.
2) Enter this password in the box: crosscountry (all small letters) and then click CONTINUE.
3) Now you can click PREVIEW to choose your pictures to download OR I suggest just click DOWNLOAD to see the whole race. Be patient as there are 230 photos to download — it takes 2-3 minutes; maybe pour a Christmas drink meanwhile...
4) When the download is complete you will find a folder named hooley_kflbetteshangerparkphotos_2021-12-18_1420 in your downloads folder (or other usual download location). Open the folder to view the photos in your usual way on the computer. Viewing them in a slide show set to change every 2 or 3 seconds works well and makes it feel like you're back in the race!
Happy Christmas. Any problems please contact me as shown below. All photos are free of charge but please give me a credit if sharing online with others. The download link is valid for 4 weeks.
It has become an SAC annual event to hold a 1 Mile track race each summer. The race distance has a long history in UK athletics and no matter what your ability this event provides an opportunity to test yourself over the distance. The plan is to hold the event on Thurs 5 August at 7pm, I had hoped to use one of our weekend track slots for the event but this tends to clash with other race events and the imminent return of Park Run. Depending on the number of those interested we usually hold 2 or more separate races to spread the timing and recording workload and to group runners in terms of race speed.
If you would like to take part it would be helpful if you could let me know together with an idea of your expected race time so that I can plan the race groupings.